Thursday, November 18, 2010

Today’s interesting fact has to do with medications.

When someone is prescribed medications, some care is given to make sure that when multiple drugs are given, they don’t interfere with each other. For instance, if someone is taking Warfarin to thin their blood, they are told to not take Aspirin, or other drugs that also thin the blood.

Some years ago, when I was in the USAF Reserves, I worked as a Pharmacy Technician. Every time we handed out birth control, we had a script we followed, a little speach, warning the recipient that some medications, such as some antibiotics, some over the counter remedies, etc, would make their birth control ineffective, and as such they should take additional precautions if sex was planned. We also told them that if they were in doubt, they should discuss with the Pharmacist or their prescribing Physician. This seemingly little known fact has stuck with me, possibly because some of my colleagues were much younger than me, and they would ask me to talk to the women, as discussing birth control seemed to embarrass the younger men.

I’ve discussed this with Doctors, and all of them have told me that they mention this information when a prescription is first issued. I have in the past, looked at some birth control information sheets, and the information was also listed there. I don't know if it still is, but I'm sure a Google search will confirm that it happens with some medications.

Many women however, do get pregnant, because they don’t follow this advice, usually I suspect, because they forget the advice, something that I can understand, with the busy lives we all have these days. I known of many women who have gotten pregnant from this, but perhaps, after seeing it here, someone will not have an unwanted pregnancy?

No comments: